Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The things this girl says...

I'm a blog slacker, and it's not going to get any better, but I really want to remember some funny things my silly girl says.

One morning, I asked Palmer what she wanted for breakfast; she gave her usual answer of "mac and cheese!"  I suggested scrambled eggs instead, and she said, "Yeah, cause it's kinda like coconuts!"

On Valentine's Day my mom brought over some prizes for Palmer, and while she was here Rachel brought over a Valentine for Palmer from Stetson.  After they had both left Palmer was giddy about her loot.  She picked up a stuffed frog my mom had brought and said, "That's so nice of Grandma!" and then picked up the treat from Stets and said, "and so nice of Rachel!"  I know that doesn't sound that funny, but the way she said it just sounded like how an old lady would say it.

When she's been crying she tells me her "drips are dripping," which means her tears are falling down her cheeks.

She speaks in a patronizing voice to her friends, and even to me sometimes.  She uses this voice like she's just so knowledgeable and she has to slowly explain things in a way that we'll understand.

Bryir was playing over here the other day and Palmer got hurt.  They had the cutest and kind of weird little conversation.  Bryir was trying to get Palmer to come play some more after she'd gotten done crying over her "injury."  Palmer said, "I can't play right now Bry; I'm so sad.  I wish I could be happy, but I'm just sad.  Look at my eyes; do you see anything in them?"  She wanted Bryir to see the tears.  Then Bryir said, "Yeah!  I see a strawberry in your eye!"

I wish I did better about writing down the funny things she says because she keeps me laughing every day all day with the things she says.


A few fun facts (as of early February, since I left this post in draft mode forever again):
Palmer finally has her bottom two-year molars.  The left one came in first a few weeks ago and the right one has just recently partially busted through.  No signs of the top ones yet.  (Update - since it's June now, her top molars have busted through).

She recognizes all of her numbers and letters.  She can sing the ABCs, usually getting tripped up on a letter or two here and there.  When she counts she says, "one two three six seven..." 97% of the time.  I don't know where the four and five went, but she always skips them.  She can count to ten in Spanish, sometimes missing a number or two (Thanks Dora).

I haven't dared take on full-blown potty training, but I intend to in the next two weeks.  She is ready.  She has peed and pooed in the potty a few times and she knows when she needs to go.  She definitely has a little fear and anxiety about it, but I'm hoping if I commit to it I can help her to see that it's not scary.  Today when I went to the bathroom she said, "Mommy, you went pee!  I'm so proud of you!"  (Update - I tried to take on for real potty training, but she was psychologically not ready.  She has a ton of anxiety about actually releasing the poop and pee.  She loves to sit on the potty and say she's going to go, but as soon as she has the urge to go she totally freaks out.  We spent a few days where I kept her in panties and each day got worse than the last and she had so much anxiety about it.  It was breaking my heart, so we stopped.  I'm hoping she'll want to try again sometime soon.)

She's still a horrible eater.  It's a complete power struggle and I am working on backing off and letting her feel like she's more in control of the situation.  Some days are better than others, but I guess she won't let herself starve.  Update - as of June Palmer is slowly getting better with her eating.  We have gotten to a point where I can usually get her to eat some of the food we're eating and it is SO nice!

She had become a MUCH better sleeper and overall a much more pleasant person...until this past week.  Her sleeping habits took a horrible turn for the worse about a week ago and she's back to crap naps every day and inexplicable emotional breakdowns.  I have no idea what changed, but I hope we can go back to the better sleep soon.  (Update, we're back to pretty good sleep again.  Except she is skipping naps about half of the days now.  She goes down for a nap just fine, and sometimes she goes to sleep, but others she will play in there for an hour or two.  Last week there was a day that she played happily in her crib in her dark room for two hours and 20 minutes before I finally accepted that a nap was not happening and took her out.)  She's doing a lot better with less sleep these days.





No comments: