Sunday, December 22, 2013

Just Hangin' Out

This time I'm not going to start this post and then leave it hanging for 3+ months.  (Well I didn't let this sit for three months, but now it's three weeks later and I'm finally getting around to finishing it up.)

Life has been BUSY lately.  When I sit down and try to think of why it's been so crazy I can't even figure out why, but I feel like I need about 10 more hours in every day.  I try to fit in some fun things for Palmer, but sadly a big part of my hecticity (not a word) is my stupid coding.  It's such a blessing and a curse for me.  I've been transitioning to some different work, which will be good in the long run, but for now it is killing me to keep doing my old stuff and try to learn new stuff, including work that I've started for a different company.  Hopefully things will calm down real soon though.  I am so so so thankful that I get to spend my days with Palmer, even if it means I have to spend a lot of the time on my dumb laptop.


We have gone out of town about a million times in the last few months.  I've gone on girls weekends with two different sets of friends, both of which were SO fun.  I also went to St. George with my mom and sisters for Time Out for Women; that was great of course.  We've been to SLC for about one million doctor's appointments in the last few months.  Palmer is a horrible traveler and I truly believe that she can fight sleep in a car more than any other child in the universe.  It's been rough.  We went up for Thanksgiving this past week; we ate with Taylor's family at Abby's house and it was lovely (other than the driving).  We also bought a new (to us) car while we were up there.  We had talked about getting a bigger vehicle in the near future, but it just kind of happened that we got one this soon.  It's a Nissan Rogue.  There were a couple of other vehicles we probably would have preferred, but we found such a good deal on this one that we felt like we couldn't pass it up.  I think it'll be a good car for us.  Part of the awesome deal was that we got the dealership to pay to have a DVD player installed.  I am hoping that will save us A LOT of headaches while traveling with Palmer.

Palmer has FINALLY started sleeping better.  She's still not as consistent as I would think a 2 1/2 year old should be, but she has finally started taking better naps and even sleeping longer in the mornings.  This definitely doesn't happen every day, but most days it's so much better than it used to be.  This has probably been happening now for 1-2 months.  She is SUCH a happier girl and we have so many less tantrums in general.  I thought this day would never come.  On the note of tantrums, I think the worst of the terrible twos are behind us (knock on wood).  I'm not saying that we don't have terrible threes and fours coming our way, but she is able to regulate her moods a whole lot better than she used to.  I sure love my girl.

Taylor and I are almost licensed to do foster care.  We're not 100% sure how we feel about the whole thing, but it's something we've felt that we were supposed to do for a very long time now.  It's an intense process to get licensed.

Palmer is my favorite person in the universe!  She is such a funny, spunky little person with so much attitude.  Everything is a power struggle with her.  I hope that she uses her powers for good in the future because I have a feeling that she is always going to be a very stubborn person.  She says the funniest things.  I wish I did better at writing them down.  I'll try to remember some of my faves for this post:
Palmer picked out this huge shark at Ikea a few weeks ago and she LOVES this thing!  It goes wherever she goes and she will not sleep without it.  She calls it her "big heavy baby shark." (The shark has its stomach side up in the pic)

This child is obsessed with stuffed animals.  She has a few staples that are always among the favorites, but she does a good job of rotating through all of her millions of stuffed animals.  In her crib at nap time and bed time she is completely surrounded by all her cuddly things that she insists on sleeping with (including everything seen in this pic, plus more)


Tonight we were putting up our Christmas tree.  Palmer reached out her hand and literally shook a branch like she was shaking a hand and said, "Hi Tree.  How are you?  I'm Palmer and these are my friends" (while pointing at Taylor and me).  I don't know how she even learned something like that.

This was the night we put up our tree.  It needs a bunch more balls and it looks crooked in this pic, but we LOVE it!  Palmer has done pretty well with leaving the tree alone and she's done GREAT with the presents we have under the tree.

She loves to say that she's just "hanging out."  When it's time to go to bed sometimes she'll say, "But I wanna hang out more!"

Lately, whenever I try to get her to eat something that she doesn't want to eat (which is 99% of the food I try to feed her) she says, "It's too spicy!"  Mind you, I am not feeding her anything that is too spicy.  I think she learned this phrase from trying my soda one time.  She hates soda, but insisted on trying it; as she was pulling a face after drinking some I asked her if it was too spicy and she's used that phrase ever since.

This girl LOVES to play with friends and cousins.  I wish I could just steal a couple of other kids and have them come live with us because she definitely gets bored with me and does so much better when there are other kids around.  Luckily she's got some great friends that she gets to play with regularly and she has fantastic cousins that are so good to play with her.  She would still choose to have Cheyna as her mom if she could and that would be double bonus for her because then her bust buddy Bryir would be her sister.
This is how Palmer and Bryir watched Mickey Mouse for like 10 minutes recently.  Bryir put her arm around Palmer first and Palmer was not loving it.  But when I told her that Bryir was just being sweet and friendly Palmer joined right in and kept turning to me and saying, "We're being friendly."  Cute girls!  P.S. how cute are Palmer's pigtails?


Palmer went through a phase where whenever I would ask her what she wanted to eat, whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner, her response 90% of the time was mac & cheese...a girl after my own heart :)

We always ask Palmer questions like, "Who is that?" or "What color is that?" etc. when she's watching shows.  Lately she has started asking us that question.  She'll be watching a show and say something like, "What animal is that?  Do ya know?"  Any time she quizzes us she ends it with "Do ya know?" with the cutest little inflection in her voice.

Palmer has had an unhealthy obsession with Mickey Mouse for quite awhile now.  A few weeks ago she watched a "Dora the Explorer" movie and has since become so obsessed with Dora.  She still wants Mickey every once in awhile and Little Einsteins once in a great while, but it's almost always Dora now.  Today while we were singing a song at church she started singing, "Nochebuena" over and over.  In a Christmas episode of Dora they sing a song about Nochebuena (Spanish Christmas Eve).

She loves to cheer us on by saying, "You can do it Mom (or Dad)!"

As I'm finishing this post it is the Sunday before Christmas.  Palmer wore a cute frilly dress today with sparkly red shoes.  She LOVED them and kept telling everyone to look at her beautiful dress and sparkly shoes.  She FLIPPED out when I took her shoes off after church before her nap.


I don't know how much she understands about Christmas, but if you ask her about Santa she says that
he is coming on Christmas, that he says, "Ho ho ho," and that he's going to bring her presents and toys.  If you ask her whose birthday we're celebrating she'll say it's Jesus' birthday.  I think this is the most excited that I have ever been for Christmas day because she is going to LOVE the whole thing!


This is such a stereotypical stubborn Palmer face.


Noelle, aka my favorite photographer, took some family pics for us a couple of months ago.  Palmer did not make it easy!  But we got a few good ones.

No comments: