Monday, January 16, 2012

Half Birthday!

Well somehow our little Palmer girl reached her half birthday last week. These past six months have been, without a doubt, the fastest six months of my life. This little girl is my everything; I know that sounds cheesy and cliche, but it is so true. I love starting and ending my day cuddling her; I love her smiles and laughs; I love her sweet little sounds; I love when she gets excited about something and kick kick kicks her legs and flails her little arms; I even love her little pouty face when she gets sad about something.






Palmer Tay had her six month checkup this morning and it was confirmed that she is still perfect. She weighs 13 pounds 8 ounces, which is right around the 8th percentile (the doctor's computer froze up so we just had to look on a paper chart and it was a little under 10th percentile); she is 25 inches long, which is around 25th percentile and her head was 42 centimeters (I think), which was around the 75th percentile - that's my big-headed Lyman girl!
Palmer now loves to roll from her back to her tummy. She will play on her tummy for awhile until she gets bored with that and then she fusses until she remembers that she can roll herself back onto her back, or more often than that we end up rolling her onto her back if she gets mad enough. She is not pushing herself up onto all fours, but she pushes herself up on her hands. She is getting pretty good at turning her body whichever direction she wants to be. She's good at scooting backwards, but hasn't quite figured out how to propel herself forward yet. When we get her out of her crib in the morning or after naps we never know where she'll be in her crib. Sometimes she's at the top, sometimes the bottom, sometimes she's sideways, and sometimes she's flipped her body so her head is where we left her feet; also she's on her belly more often than not when we get her out of her crib these days. When she wakes up in the mornings and from naps she is happy happy happy and will just play contentedly with her lovey and make cute noises until we get her. As soon as she sees one of us at the side of her crib she gets a huge smile on her face and makes a cute little squeal.
Her eyes have stayed blue and I LOVE them and hope they don't change. She has beautiful long curled lashes and almost everyone comments on her beautiful eyes. I can't help but agree - they're super pretty.
Little Miss Palmer is not sitting up yet - she doesn't seem very interested in it. I practice with her every day and I can tell she could probably do it if she would just try. Sometimes when she is real focused on a toy or something she'll sit up by herself just fine, but after a bit of that she'll tip to the side or bend in half over her legs.
No signs of any teeth yet; I'm not looking forward to teething at all.
She's doing great with eating solids. She definitely makes a mess, but she is doing great with opening her mouth for the bites and keeping most of the food in her mouth. So far she has liked everything that I've given her except bananas...crazy girl. She did seem to have a little reaction to the bananas, so I guess it's ok that she didn't love them; she had a very faint rash all over her body the next day after trying bananas. I'll probably forget some but so far she's tried carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, peas, pears, applesauce, bananas and peaches. Her favorite seems to be pears and peas so far.




She's sleeping better and getting more and more consistent with sleep in general. Lately it is most common for her to wake up to eat around 4:00 or 5:00 and then go back to sleep for a couple of hours, but sometimes she wakes up earlier and ends up eating twice in the night. Her naps during the day are becoming much more routine and it's making it a lot easier for me to plan my day. She's also getting more hair slowly but surely. Her hair is thickening up a bit and getting longer. It's brown for now; I'm excited for the days when she will fight me trying to fix her hair so pretty.
She really loves playing with her toys these days. She's getting more and more curious about the world around her and more interactive. She likes playing patty-cake and peek-a-boo. Sometimes I'll laugh at something she does and it will make her laugh and we'll end up going back and forth just laughing at each other. Those are my favorite times with her.






I love this little girl so much. I definitely don't have this whole mom thing completely figured out and there's been tiring and frustrating times, but she has made every minute of the last six months better than every minute ever before. But now I need her to stop growing so fast because I feel like I'm gonna freak out at her first birthday.
Happy half birthday Palmer Tay!

2 comments:

Cheyn said...

LOVE HER!!! I can't believe she is 6 months. So much for a walk with the stinking snow this week but we do need to get those kids together!

Dawn said...

Such a little cutie! I think she is looking more and more like Taylor and I love those eye lashes! Also, very lucky you have an eater on your hands. I'm going to try and convince Camilla to like something other than apples this week, so far we've struck out on every other food...