Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What ever happened to grammar and punctuation?


Warning - I'm going to step onto my soapbox for a moment. I was going to give specific examples of all of the common grammatical and punctuation errors that drive me nuts that I see on blogs, emails, FB etc. (and billboards and "professional" websites for crying out loud - if you're going to pay that much money to get your name/business advertised maybe you should have someone who passed the second grade edit it before you print it). Apostrophes (possessive & contractions) seem to be the biggest culprits. Don't even get me started on the messes that happen when people start mixing plurals and possessives; and beyond that are last names that end in 's'...always a disaster. Anyway, I won't bore everybody with a full lesson because I know that nobody cares and I'm not an expert anyway. But I needed to get my opinion out into the universe that as a society we're starting to look pretty stupid if we can't even put into practice the very basic and common lessons we learned in grade school. And no, I'm not perfect and I'm sure I've got my share of errors in stuff that I write, but I hope that I do better than a lot of things I read these days.

I'm going to finish off my post with a thought from my good friend Ross, who pointed out to Rachel that y-o-u-'-r-e means "you are" and y-o-u-r means "your."

4 comments:

The Ivins Gang said...

HAHAHAHAH!!! I couldn't agree with you more my friend. Yes, I am not perfect but SERIOUSLY people...My old Principal more often than not would spell my name Ivin's. I was like "Seriously?!?!, How long have I worked here?!?!?!? and how long have you been spelling?" The grammatical errors drive me crazy too. I guess it's the teacher in me coming out!

Anyway, we would love to have you and Taylor over sometime for dinner. When are you free?

Heats said...

Oh crap. I'm a disaster. Was this post meant for me? Dang it! So would you say "Ivins' cabin?"

The Ivins Gang said...

Note from Michele Halls: Thank you for putting out this message in the Universe! But...did everyone learn this in Grade school? Obviously not! I am having a hard time with public education.

I had to type this up for Mich because Kristi still hasn't talked Michele out of the dark ages.

The Bradshaws said...

I gotta say Stace (does gotta bug you) that I'm a little scared to post or comment on anything now. Do you think that I could send you a rough draft of everything first for editing? :) No, I do agree with you, I think I usually do okay, except for when I'm in a really big hurry. It does make it kinda hard when you try to type the way you would talk, cause let's face it, we all talk pretty crappy English too. :) I sure love ya, you make me laugh! (I'm totally re-reading this right to make sure it's okay, and I'm sure there's still mistakes).